NEXT EVENTS - FOR FULL DETAILS CLICK HERE
WANT TO JOIN CAMRA CLICK HERE TO SEE WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT
HOW LONG TO OUR BEER FESTIVAL??? - CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT
LOCAL NEWS - KENT CAMRA REGIONAL PUBS OF THE YEAR - Added 19/03/19 0732
- Ashford, Folkestone & Romney Marsh - Bowl Inn Hastingleigh - https://whatpub.com/pubs/ASH/3973/bowl-inn-hastingleigh
- Bexley - Penny Farthing Crayford - https://whatpub.com/pubs/BEX/103/penny-farthing-crayford - **GOES INTO LONDON REGION NEXT ROUND**
- Canterbury, Herne Bay & Whitstable - Tyler's Kiln, Canterbury - https://whatpub.com/pubs/CAN/4294/tylers-kiln-tyler-hill
- Dover, Deal & Sandwich - The Berry Walmer - https://whatpub.com/pubs/DDS/0011/berry-walmer
- Gravesend and Darent Valley - Old House Ightham - https://whatpub.com/pubs/GRA/0144/old-house-ightham-common
- Maidstone & Mid-Kent - Larkins' Alehouse Cranbrook - https://whatpub.com/pubs/MAI/362/larkins-alehouse-cranbrook
- Medway - 10:50 from Victoria Strood - https://whatpub.com/pubs/MED/11868/10-50-from-victoria-strood
- Swale - Admiral's Arms Queenborough - https://whatpub.com/pubs/SWA/4581/admirals-arm-queenborough
- Thanet - Bake & Alehouse Westgate - https://whatpub.com/pubs/THA/006/bake-alehouse-westgate-on-sea
- West Kent - The George Tunbridge Wells - https://whatpub.com/pubs/TTW/219/george-tunbridge-wells
All of the above (except Bexley branch) will now split into sub-regional competitions with guest judges from the opposite area before a two pub shoot out East Kent vs West Kent to be named best in Kent.
East = Bowl Inn vs Tyler's Kiln vs The Berry vs Admiral's Arms vs Bake & Alehouse
West = Old House vs 10:50 from Victoria vs Larkins' Alehouse vs The George
LOCAL NEWS - LATEST EDITION OF ALE OF THANET AVAILABLE ON-LINE (PDF VERSION) - Added 13/03/19 1237
LOCAL NEWS - HIGHLIGHTS OF BRANCH MEETING - Added 11/03/19 1515
Branch Meeting highlights (March 6th)
i) Membership - steady at 567 ii) Social Secretary - lots of events planned - see CALENDAR for full details - 26th March Broadstairs - 39 Steps, Magnet (new Micro Pub) and more
iii) Social Media - Followers/Likes - Instagram 200 Twitter 618 Thanet CAMRA Facebook 538 Thanet Easter Beer Fest Facebook 337 Website c. 130k hits
iv) Pub Updates
NEW - Magnet micro pub (opp Chapel in Broadstairs) formally Reef
TENANCIES AVAILABLE - Rose in June Margate, Neptunes Hall Margate, Hare & Hounds Northwood (under offer), St Lawrence Tavern Ramsgate (under offer), Deal Cutter Ramsgate
FREE HOLDS AVAILABLE - Honey Suckle Ramsgate, London Tavern Margate, Swan Westgate (not pub business but freehold of the overall property under offer)
v) Brewery Updates
New beers at Ramsgate and Wantsum - see individual websites for full details
Four Candles, Isla Vale, Margate, NauticAles and Northdown - no major news
vi) Pub of the Year - awards planned 16th March multi-presentation day (4 stops) midday at Bake & Alehouse Westgate - 3/4 Montefiore Arms 8pm
vii) Beer Festival - plans progressing well with the slightly less than 6 weeks to go - more volunteers required (when aren't they!!) especially any industry keg/cask experts (publicans, sommeliers, brewers) - contact us if interested in this exciting new addition to our festival
viii) Club of the Year - looking to bring this competition back - seeking nominations of easy entry, beer/cider focussed clubs - let us know
Well done LOCAL NEWS - AGENDA FOR BRANCH MEETING ON WEDNESDAY 6th MARCH 2019 - Added 04/03/19 0924
LOCAL NEWS - TWO WINNERS BUT WHO WILL BE CROWNED OVERALL THANET PUB OF THE YEAR 2019? - Added 20/02/19 1414
Congratulations to John at Bake & Alehouse, Westgate-on-Sea (Micro Pub of the Year 2019) and Eddie at Montefiore Arms, Ramsgate (Traditional Pub of the Year 2019) for being named the best in their category in our Pub of the Year competition.
One of these two pubs has also scooped the overall prize but won't find out until the day of the presentation - how exciting....!!
Check back for details of the presentations which will probably be Saturday 16th March.
Joint runners up in the Micro Pub of the Year competition were The Hovelling Boat Inn, Ramsgate and Old Bay Alehouse, Minnis Bay.
Runner up in the Traditional Pub of the Year was Banks Ale and Wine House, Cliftonville.
CLICK HERE FOR FULL DETAILS
NATIONAL NEWS - HOSTS FOR GREAT BRITISH BEER FESTIVAL IN WINTER 2020-22 REVEALED - Added 20/02/19 0737
After an amazing three years in Norwich the GBBFW will be hosted by West Midlands CAMRA in 2020, 2021 and 2022. The venue and the dates to be confirmed very soon.
Well done to the team and we look forward to joining you next year.
NATIONAL NEWS - CHAMPION WINTER BEER OF BRITAIN REVEALED - Added 20/02/19 0659
Congratulations to all the beers who made it through the nomination process, multiple beer tasting rounds to get to the final where the following were named the best of the best.
GOLD Lacon's Audit Ale SILVER Calverley's Porter BRONZE Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil
BARLEY WINE STRONG OLD ALES
GOLD Lacon's Audit Ale SILVER Tring Death or Glory BRONZE Robinson's Old Tom
OLD AGE STRONG MILDS
GOLD Tintagel Excalibur SILVER Harvey's Old Ale BRONZE Brampton Mild
GOLD Calverley's Porter SILVER Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil BRONZE Dancing Duck Indian Porter
GOLD Plain Ales Inncognito SILVER Dark Star Imperial Stout BRONZE Cairngorn Black Gold
LOCAL NEWS - #TRYANUARY MINI-TOUR OF RAMSGATE 23RD JANUARY 2019 - Added 24/01/19 0803
LOCAL NEWS - AGM - HIGHLIGHTS - Added 21/01/19 0719
AGM on Saturday 19th January was well attended. Elections for the committee took place and delivered the following:-
- CHAIR - Jo Walbank stepped down after two years and Martin Knight was elected unopposed
- VICE CHAIR - Steve Saunders retained this position as well as the Pubs Officer and Editor of Ale of Thanet magazine
- TREASURER - Jez Leming stays on
- SECRETARY - Dennis Brandrick stays on
- MEMBERSHIP - Julian Dungey stays on
- SOCIAL SECRETARY - Danny O Sullivan stays on
- WEBSITE & SOCIAL MEDIA - Nick Gurr stays on in these roles and picks up Press & Publicity Officer from Damien Clark who has stepped down form the committee after many years volunteering
- BRANCH CONTACT - Graham Rickett stays on
- CIDER REP - Jo Walbank continues on the committee and is our first Cider Rep and brings great experience to the role from her time as Cider Co-Ordinator for the Thanet Easter Beer & Cider Festival
- MEMBERS WITHOUT PORTFOLIO - Anthony Walbank, Peter Jaquiss, Geoff Orton, Mike St Clare-Newman & Mark Sharratt
If you would like any more information please CLICK HERE for contact details.
Next meeting will be Wednesday 6th March 8pm in Artillery Arms Ramsgate CLICK HERE for details.
LOCAL NEWS - AGM AGENDA NOW AVAILABLE - Added 15/01/19 0754
Saturday 19th January, midday at Bradstow Mill where a new committee will be formed (with some familiar faces no doubt) and the real ale and cider scene of Thanet will be discussed. All welcome to attend though only CAMRA members affiliated to Thanet branch will be eligible to vote.
Hear about upcoming socials, the latest news on the beer festival (and an opportunity to volunteer...!!), membership numbers and social media/website news.
See you there??
CLICK HERE to see agenda and minutes from last years.
LOCAL NEWS - VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR 14TH THANET EASTER BEER & CIDER FESTIVAL MONDAY 15TH THROUGH TO TUESDAY 23RD - Added 09/01/19 0800
Peter, our volunteer co-ordinator, is looking for volunteers for this years Beer Festival to help with set up, the actual event and the take down. If you can spare any time he would love to hear from you.
CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO GO TO THE VOLUNTEER PAGE
LOCAL NEWS - SUNDAY SOCIAL - Added 07/01/19 0935
As part of TRYANUARY we yesterday visited Banks Ale and Wine House in Cliftonville (https://whatpub.com/pubs/THA/222/banks-ale-wine-house-cliftonville), Yard of Ale St Peters (https://whatpub.com/pubs/THA/189/yard-of-ale-st-peters) and White Swan Reading Street Broadstairs (https://whatpub.com/pubs/THA/103/white-swan-broadstairs). Thanks for your hospitality one and all.
NATIONAL NEWS - CAMRA APPOINT NEW CHIEF EXECUTIVE & DEPUTY - Added 04/01/19 0945
Tom Stainer and Ken Owst have been appointed to the above roles. For full details CLICK HERE
NATIONAL NEWS - CLUB OF THE YEAR FINAL FOUR ANNOUNCED - Added 11/12/18 0830
LOCAL NEWS - NOVEMBER BRANCH MEETING MINUTES ADDED TO WEBSITE - Added 10/12/18 1508
LOCAL NEWS - 4TH QUARTER ALE OF THANET MAGAZINE NOW ON-LINE - Added 06/12/18 0716
The latest edition of our very own Ale of Thanet magazine is now available to look at on-line CLICK HERE
The volunteer distributors will be getting these out to your favourite watering holes as soon as they arrive from the printers so you can read yours over a pint or two.
FOR PREVIOUS NEWS CLICK HERE
What is Real Ale - In the early 1970s CAMRA coined the term 'real ale' to make it easy for people to differentiate between the bland processed beers being pushed by the big brewers and the traditional beers whose very existence was under threat. Real ale, also referred to as cask-conditioned ale, continues to develop its wonderful tastes and aromas in the cask through a process called secondary fermentation.
Except where otherwise indicated, all content © 2016 Thanet Branch of the Campaign for Real Ale
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information on this site is accurate and up to date, no responsibility for errors and omissions can be accepted. The views expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the campaign for Real Ale Ltd